My friends, I love you, and I want you to go and love yourself. Yes, I was listening to Justin Bieber when I wrote this. I’m not even ashamed of it. It oddly got me thinking about how important self-love and self-care are for our psyche. It’s also the first thing that gets put on the back burner when our days seem crazy. I won’t preach to you about how that isn’t right. Girl, I’ve been there. When we first brought Sweet Baby J home, I felt bad anytime I took a moment for myself. Nap? What’s that? Shower? Oh, I’ll do that tomorrow. Listen to my favorite song and feel blissfully ignorant to the rest of the world? Oh, I’ll do that in a few years. Boy, I was wrong. It was only a few weeks in that I realized I’d burn out quickly if I kept at my current trajectory. Self-care looks different for everyone, but I wanted to look into some ways you might not think of on your own and some of them don’t even involve a lot of time commitment. You owe it to yourself to love yourself. Today, I’m sharing 15 ways to love yourself even when you don’t feel like you have any idea how to do it.
- Motivational message on your mirror. Choose a mantra for the week and put it on the mirror in a dry erase marker. You’ll see it multiple times a day. Live it! Love it!
- Self-date. Go to your favorite restaurant by yourself. Take yourself out for coffee. Do whatever makes you happy.
- Take a different way to work/the grocery store/etc… You’ll get a new perspective on your trip and yourself.
- Rearrange a room. This is another easy way to get a new perspective on your life and feel great. Change begets change.
- Fold clothes while you binge watch Netflix. You’re going to watch Netflix anyway so why not be productive while you do it? You’ll feel great to have gotten something done, and you’ll be happy you caught up on your favorite show or rewatched an old favorite. You can see what I’m watching here
- Jam to your favorite guilty pleasure. Or put them all on different playlists. My favorites are here, here, and here.
- Do a scavenger hunt. Go out in the world with a scavenger hunt to find things of a certain color or just things that make you happy.
- Listen to a podcast about something that interests you. Learning something is a great way to provide yourself with care and love. You’ll feel excited. I love these or you can check out Two Moms, One Podcast.
- Write yourself a series of open when letters. This way you’ll have them for other times you need a little pick me up!
- Go for a walk/small hike. Sometimes it’s just best to get out of the house by yourself and get away from it all. Communing with nature often helps to get those creative juices flowing as well. See here.
- Learn something new. You’ll feel accomplished and loved!!!
- Active listen to yourself. Really hear your thoughts, intentions, and concerns.
- Go to an animal rescue and volunteer to pet the animals. Animal therapy is known to be great, and you’ll be making the animals happier as well.
- Watch 10 minutes of your favorite comedian. They say laughter is the best medicine for a reason.
- Give yourself a hug. This one is just tried and true.
Do you feel the love yet? I hope so. It’s all about you.