Every year the list of books I want to read gets longer and the time I have to read them gets shorter. It’s true. The truth is that it’s because new books come out every year, and I’m not able to finish the list from the previous year before getting excited about something new. It doesn’t mean that I’m not going to get through the list. It just means I have to pare down the list from what I think I ought to read to what I really want to read. Life is too short to have a list of undesirable books left on the to-read shelf. This year I know I’ll have a HUGE list of new books from the NPR book concierge and dear old friends. So I’ve pared down my 8 page list on Goodreads to the top 20 books I really want to finish this year.
Please note: This list will contain affiliate links. If you buy from the links, I will be awarded a few pennies for your trouble and eventually those few pennies will add up to a book for myself.
- I’ll Give You The Sun
- All Joy and No Fun: The Paradox of Modern Parenthood
- Can’t We Talk About Something More Pleasant
- Suck It, Wonder Woman!: The Misadventures of a Hollywood Geek
- Primates of Park Avenue
- Salt A World History
- The Pearl That Broke Its Shell
- The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You’re Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are.
- You Cannot Be Serious
- A Queer and Pleasant Danger: The True Story of a Nice Jewish Boy Who Joins the Church of Scientology and Leaves Twelve Years Later to Become the Lovely Lady She is Today
- The Lost Wife
- Mount Vernon Love Story: A Novel of George and Martha Washington
- A Manual for Cleaning Women: Selected Stories
- Binary Star
- The Book of Speculation: A Novel
- Landline: A Novel
- Inventory: 16 Films Featuring Manic Pixie Dream Girls, 10 Great Songs Nearly Ruined by Saxophone, and 100 More Obsessively Specific Pop-Culture Lists
- Record Collecting for Girls: Unleashing Your Inner Music Nerd, One Album at a Time
What books are you looking forward to reading in 2016? What do you hope to finish in 2015? Please share your lists with me so I can start to add more and more to my list! I really do find it exciting to find something new I want to read even if it doesn’t end up making the cut of things I must read before the end of the year.
Also, I need to think this month about my goal for the Goodreads challenge. How many books do I think I can read next year? We’re hoping to try for another baby so I don’t want to set the goal too high. I know it’ll be more exhausting with two especially in the beginning. I’m looking forward to adding to the list of books I want to read though, and I hope you are too.