Anyone who knows me knows that it’s always important to have a soundtrack for special events in my life. This birth is going to be no different. Hence why I came up with my perfect labor playlist. Playlists for any event are different for everyone, but it is especially important to have a great playlist suited to you for your labor needs. My labor playlist includes a few songs just to be funny while others are a little more serious, but I hope that you’ll get as much enjoyment out of them as I did making the list. You can feel free to use some of the ideas for your own playlists!
What songs made my labor playlist? I’m going to list for you the 50 songs that made the cut.
- Eye of the Tiger – Survivor
- Push It – Salt-N-Pepa
- Hurt So Good – John Mellencamp
- I’m Coming Out – Diana Ross
- Your Love is My Drug – Ke$ha
- Must Get Out – Maroon 5
- Nothings Gonna Stop Us Now – Starship
- Hot in Herre – Nelly
- Gonna Make You Sweat – C & C Music Factory
- Do You Believe in Magic – The Lovin’ Spoonful
- I Won’t Give Up – Jason Mraz
- All of Me – John Legend
- Happy – Pharrell
- You Can Do It (Put Your Back Into It) – Ice Cube
- Counting Stars – One Republic
- It’s Time – Imagine Dragons
- Closing Time – Semisonic
- Under Pressure – Queen
- Every Breath You Take – The Police
- Right Here Waiting – Richard Marx
- Everything I Do (I Do It For You) – Bryan Adams
- Here Comes the Sun – The Beatles
- I Won’t Back Down – Tom Petty
- She’s My Baby – The Traveling Wilburys
- All About Loving You – Bon Jovi
- We Didn’t Start the Fire – Billy Joel
- I Would Die 4 You – Prince
- I’m On Fire – Bruce Springsteen
- Strong Enough – Cher
- With A Little Help From My Friends – Joe Cocker
- I Want Your Sex – George Michael
- Both Sides Now – Joni Mitchell
- Born This Way – Lady Gaga
- Sweet Child O’ Mine – Guns N’ Roses
- Start Me Up – The Rolling Stones
- Get This Party Started – Pink!
- Forever Young – Rod Stewart
- Little Wonders – Rob Thomas
- Better Together – Jack Johnson
- Hold On – Wilson Phillips
- Young and Beautiful – Lana Del Rey
- Two – Lenka
- Brave – Sara Bareilles
- Here’s to Never Growing Up – Avril Lavigne
- You Belong to Me – Taylor Swift
- Danger Zone – Kenny Loggins
- The Circle of Life – Elton John
- Best Day Of Your Life – Katie Herzig
- Brass Monkey – Beastie Boys
- Stubborn Love – The Lumineers
I wanted to get a little creative with my labor playlist, but I also wanted to select songs that I would know. I knew that these would be the most calming things while we waited. I wanted things that would remind me of when I was younger and keep me in the relaxed zone. I know that tensing up wouldn’t be good for anyone after all. There is nothing that can really keep you in the zen zone when you’re in the throngs of labor I’m sure, but I know that this labor playlist will at least help me to stay grounded.
There’s also a little humor in it. I Want Your Sex by George Michael, for instance, was added to cut into the mush mush. I’m on Fire was added in reference to the ring of fire you’re likely to feel as the head is about to emerge. I didn’t want to be all that serious because you just can’t take life too seriously if you ask me. I feel this labor playlist definitely represents me and what I’d want to be listening to if I were going to be experiencing coming into the world for the first time. We’ll see how Sweet Baby J feels about it when the babe is a bit older.
What was on your labor playlist? If you haven’t had children yet, what would you put on your labor playlist? What’s the funniest song you’ve ever seen on a labor playlist?
Look here for how to have your best possible Birth Plan!