I’ll be honest and tell you that I didn’t cook all weekend! What? I know it’s kind of insane. We had a busy weekend though. Brunch with friends on Saturday and then house cleaning all day on Sunday. There is nothing like that good Spring deep clean! We emptied every room and then refilled it once the room got dusted, vacuumed, and windows washed!
So this seemed like the perfect night for a sandwich. What says summer more than a tuna melt? I can’t think of a thing. Okay so maybe watermelon. I think a nice, fresh watermelon might be the first sign of summer to me. A tuna melt isn’t far behind though. In the summer, I don’t like hot food. I want something cool and refreshing, but sometimes you gotta add a little melted cheese just for good measure. In this instance, I used pepperjack to give it a little bit of spice.
I want to know what says summer to you? What are your favorite sandwiches? What new treats are you looking to make this spring/summer?
SPICY TUNA MELT
- 1-2 cans of tuna (this will depend on if you are making for 1 person or 2. I used 2).
- 1/4 onion chopped
- 4 sweet gherkins chopped (you will want them to be throughout the mixture so use more or less as you see fit)
- 1 1/2 tsp pickle juice
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/2 lemon
- a few slices of pepperjack cheese
- a couple of slices of tomato
- 1. Mix ingredients to your taste. Some people like theirs a little more wet while others prefer it more dry. You can play around with the pickle juice and mayo to achieve your desired consistency.
- 2. Put onto bread. top with tomato and cheese.
- 3. Using a toaster oven, griddle pan, or pan on stove melt butter.
- 4. Place sandwich in melted butter and cook until cheese is melted.