Okay so I think we all know by now that this little bugger is disgusting, but I also think that most of us are still using it on a daily basis. Why is that? What are the reasons we should be dumping the sponge for better options?
1. Sponges contain more bacteria that your toilet.
Your toilet also contains more bacteria than a public restroom, but I’ll save that discussion for another day. You have to be aware that this sponge is the more dangerous source of bacteria in your house. This includes: e.coli, salmonella, and staphylococcus. Do you want any of these to be spread again and again over your kitchen surfaces? I don’t think so.
2. Sponges are not biodegradeable.
There are some biodegradable sponges out there but most of them are not. In a world where we worry about recycling to the point of mania, I think this is an important fact to note. Most sponges that you use in your house today are a petroleum bi-product and are thus not biodegradable. Do your research if it’s important for you to keep a home that is full of items that are reusable and reducible.
3. Sponges have to be replaced once or twice per week.
If you’re extra careful, you could probably get a month out of your kitchen sponge, but it is unlikely. The truth is that they have to be replaced often and that means throwing the old one away. There are better options than throwing a non biodegradable sponge in the trash. Sure, you’ll have to do a little more laundry with dish cloths, but I think it’s worth it.
4. You do not save money with sponges.
You have to replace the sucker every 2-4 weeks depending on how much it’s used so you aren’t getting any money savings at all. You can use reusable products that require being laundered to save money since you’ll be doing laundry anyway.
5. Sponges can destroy aquatic ecosystesm.
Triclosan is a product normally used in sponges today and there are many reasons why this is bad. However for my animal loving friends out there, this is bad for aquatic ecosystems. It effects algae that most aquatic animals depend on either directly or indirectly every day. Our sewage and water treatment plants cannot process out the triclosan that are put into our sponges so this icky chemical goes back into the water and wreaks havoc on the ecology.
In closing, I believe that most people were already aware that sponges are kind of gross. I believe that most of us want to be conscious about what we put out into the environment so I think we should all make a concerted effort to not use sponges.