Every year for Thanksgiving, I attempt to make pumpkin bars for my office. I think I might have skipped it last year, but I know they find it delicious. I’m always glad to share my deliciousness with the crew so I’m sure tomorrow they will be excited to see me coming.
You start by mixing together eggs, sugar, oil, and pumpkin puree with an electric mixer. The mixture featured above is what you have to start with, and it doesn’t look so appetizing there I know. I can assure you that it doesn’t start to look tasty until it begins to look like cake. Pumpkin puree in and of itself makes things look a little bit like baby food.
Once it is thoroughly combined, you will pour this mixture into a 10×15 pan. It will need to cook to 25 to 30 minutes. Once this cooking portion is done you’ll be ready to make the cream cheese frosting.
In the end, you will have the most delicious pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting. I promise that if you make this for friends, family, or coworkers they will be begging you to do it again and again.
- 4 eggs
- 1 c vegetable oil
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 c butter
- 2 c sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1 2/3 c white sugar
- 1 (15oz) can pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 (8oz) package cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. In a medium bowl, mix the eggs, sugar, oil, and pumpkin puree with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir into the pumpkin mixture until thoroughly combined.
- 3. Spread the batter evenly into an ungreased 10×15 in pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in preheated oven. Cool before frosting.
- 4. To make the frosting, cream together the cream cheese and butter. Stir in vanilla. Add confectioners’ sugar a little at a time, beating until mixture is smooth. Spread evenly on top of the cooled bars. Cut into squares.