PASTRY FOR DOUBLE-CRUST PIE
Recipe courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 8 to 10 tablespoons cold water
- 1. In a medium bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea size.
- 2. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the flour mixture; toss with a fork. Push moistened pastry to side of bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 tablespoon of the water at a time, until flour mixture is moistened. Divide pastry in half; form halves into balls.
- 3. On lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten one pastry ball. Roll it from center to edges into a circle 12 inches in diameter.
- 4. Wrap pastry circle around the rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it. Trim pastry even with rim of pie plate. Transfer desired filling to pastry-lined pie plate.
- 5. Roll remaining ball into a circle 12 inches in diameter. Cut slits in pastry. Place pastry circle on filling; trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of plate. Fold top pastry under bottom pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Bake as directed in recipes.